Vdubn_beetle.gif (15047 bytes)
nav_piece1.jpg (1459 bytes) nav_expand.jpg (935 bytes) family.jpg (2404 bytes) kids.jpg (1778 bytes) racing.jpg (2330 bytes) resume.jpg (2464 bytes) volkswagen.jpg (3756 bytes)

  Table of Contents
    Dune Buggy's

    Family
    Racing
    Resume
   
Sandrailing
    Volkswagens

  News
    CNN
    KGW.com

  Periodicals
    VW Magazine Online
    HOT VWs

  Home


Last updated: 05/12/01
dean@vdubn.com

Advertisements:

Meyers Manx Re-Assembly
bluehr.jpg (635 bytes)

What it took to make the cage
bluehr.jpg (635 bytes)
First of all I would like to give major credit to Randy Gredvig, the guy that did all of my fabrication work.  Without him, none of this would look near as good as it does.  Randy and I started by taking some templates off of another roll cage that I had (sold just after taking the templates).  The other roll cage was close to what I wanted, but was too tall, had arched header bars, etc.  Look at some of the following pictures to see how things got started.

   

We had a local pipe bending shop bend the tubing, 2" for the rear, and 1.75" for the front and side bars.  The bill came to $150 to have all of the material bent and cut.  The material itself cost about $60 for 20 foot sections of each size tubing.  Once we received the tubing from the bender, we starter measuring angles, overall height, etc.  We had to place the rear mounting tabs on the body, after cutting them out of 3/16" plate steel, to give us a place to anchor the rear points to the body and also to help us figure out the measurements.  

I have finally finished the Mechanical drawings of my roll cage, with specs. and plans for anyone that wants to build a cage similar to mine.  If you have any questions, send me an email at dean@vdubn.com, or visit the link above.

I had a brand new windshield frame that was cut down 2" from stock, so we made sure that both the front and rear hoops were cut 2" shorter as well.  After much trial and error and two full days on the weekend, here is what we came up with.  These are the pictures of what it looked like just before going to the power coaters.

     

The roll cage finished....